Re: dovecot -- Require different setting for mail_location for each of POP3S and IMAPS protocols

On 02/22/2016 06:00 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> I've tried getting this answered on dovecot mailing list, but not
> having success so far; so I'm trying here too now (considering it is a
> Debian system that was upgraded from squeeze-lts to wheezy).

Not tested, but you could try the following (10-mail.conf): set
location = Maildir in the "namespace private", but set
mail_location = mbox globally. Since namespaces are an IMAP feature,
it might be the case that the POP3 server doesn't evaluate the
namespace stuff at all, and then you'd have two separate settings.

No idea if that will actually work.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work out, the 'mail' field in userdb
always overwrites mail_location. And dovecot does replace '%s' with
the service that's accessing the userdb, so what you could do is
use the sqlite driver of dovecot, set the connection path to a non-
existent file (or an empty sqlite database) and use

user_query = SELECT CASE WHEN 'pop3' == '%s' THEN ('mbox:.../' || '%u') ELSE ('Maildir:.../' || '%n') END AS mail, '%n' as uid ;

Since userdb and passdb are separate, you should be able to get
away with that.

(Unfortunately, using sqlite is the closest I could find to having
generic scripting support for this kind of thing.)

Also not tested, also no idea if that will actually work.

Regards,
Christian