Re: Help! System crashes and locks up.

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> I have a system I just put together. New pwr sup, mobo, and
> 1 new SATA disk, 1TB. 2Gig memory. Processor is a Phenom
> 9950 4 core. Running Deb 8.3.0 Jessie, new install.
>
> Every so often it crashes and locks up, and the monitor
> screen has many narrow horizontal lines, mostly the
> background color.
>
> When it crashes only reset and power off will work. I have
> looked in every log file I can think of and no luck.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any hints?
>
> Any help at all greatly appreciated!!

These kinds of intermittent problems are hard to trace.  Last time it
happened to me, it took me 6 months to find the problem.  Hinky CPU.
Replaced it and the system ran for years 24/7 without problems.

First, run a checksum on the Debian ISO file you used, then if you
burned it to CD or thumb drive, checksum that, too, to eliminated any
error there.

Check voltages off the power supply, and check all wires and plugs.

Check motherboard for anything that looks "wrong.'  Both sides.

Remove and reseat all cards and RAM.

Do a memory check.  Let it run overnight.

Check your CPU cooler is properly installed and the CPU is not running
hot, etc.  Ditto for your graphics card.

Use the system and see if the problem reoccurs.  If it does, give more
details about what was happening prior to the failure.