Re: SATA cables

On 02/12/2016 12:21 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/12/2016 12:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
 > 'hot red' colored wire in a mic cable that always broke, ...
 > After a year or 2, there was no wire remaining in that tubing, just a
 > reddish copper dust!

Wow.  Somebody didn't understand chemistry/ metallurgy.  I'd suspect the
copper before the insulation (or the jacket), but only a chemical
assessment would tell.

I personally know that Gene hails back to the days when real men used soldering irons in the TV broadcast industry. On another list Gene made the same claim about 5 years ago. All of my drives were acting flakey, so I took his hint and replaced the cables with black ones. No more problems. As far as the chemistry goes, if the red dye contained an oxidizer, then the heat from the amperage flowing in the cable would cause gassing and a faster oxidation rate. Copper does oxidize quite readily. I spent 26 years in the chemical industry and a 20 degree rise above room temperature would cause some of our caustics to eat everything that attempted to pump them. So, while someone might not know chemistry/metallurgy, it might not be Gene. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html