Re: bad sectors on disk

On Friday 12 February 2016 02:42:19 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,

> David Wright wrote:
> > Does one I/O error mean that you have a bad block necessarily?
>
> I personally do not believe in a bad spot here, but in a bad bus.
> Throwing out blocks which fall victim to a bus glitch would then
> unnecessarily kill files and reduce disk capacity.

Is the OP talking about a sata interfaced device?  If so, is the sata
cable a semi-reddish, tending toward hints of magenta color?  And more
than 1 year old?

That particular color of sata cables has a very poor record of
satisfactory service at my location, and in my travels I have a tendency
to collect spare sata cables that are NOT that "hot red' color. When a
cable gets flaky, it gets replaced with a tan one or a black one and
that seems to be the best long term fix.

As a CET*, with a long term relationship with cables that used that
particular plastic dye to color one of a multiconductor cable, such as
in the microphone cable of a CB Radio, first encountered here in the
later 60's as radios from the J.A.Pan company started flooding the US
market, it was this 'hot red' colored wire in a mic cable that always
broke, and you could cut it back 2 cm figuring on cutting off the
fraction of that which had failed and resoldering the connector to fresh
wire.  Except when I saw that color. After a year or 2, there was no
wire remaining in that tubing, just a reddish copper dust!  Whatever
gave it that color, literally dissolved, or oxidized the copper in 3
years time at the maximum.

Sata cables, having even smaller gage conductors, it stands to reason
would fail even faster and that has been my experience.

A quick test, pull the side off the box, put a tail on the messages
logfile, then take a stick about the size of a lead pencil, and prod
each such cable, moving it an inch or so.  If the log explodes with sata
reset messages, you have one of those time bombs.  Replace it, with one
that is not that "hot red" color.

*CET=Certified Electronics Technician.

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas