SATA cables

On 02/12/2016 12:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
is the sata cable a semi-reddish [?]...
That particular color of sata cables has a very poor record of
satisfactory service at my location,...
> microphone cable of a CB Radio, ...
> 'hot red' colored wire in a mic cable that always broke, ...
> After a year or 2, there was no wire remaining in that tubing, just a
> reddish copper dust!

Wow. Somebody didn't understand chemistry/ metallurgy. I'd suspect the copper before the insulation (or the jacket), but only a chemical assessment would tell.

Most of my SATA cables are red, simply because that's what came in the box with a motherboard, HBA/ RAID card, mobile dock, HDD/ SSD, etc..

I don't recall bus problems with SATA I.

The problems started when SATA II came out and the speed doubled. Things got worse with SATA III. I use mobile docks, and they add yet another point of failure.

I've had recall several situations over the years where some cables worked and others did not. Usually, the failing cables had loose connectors. Those cables went into the recycle pile.

STFW some sites say all SATA cables are the same. Looking at my collection, I don't see any SATA I/II/III, MHz, or Gbps markings. So, I've starting serializing them with a Sharpie and keeping a log. We'll see if that helps going forward.

Cables sold as "SATA III" command a premium price. The last time I shopped for them, they all had retaining clips. I hate clips -- they tend to get stuck once the cable is connected, and I have to break the cable connector to disconnect the cable.

Does anyone have recommendations for ~20" SATA III cables with straight connectors and no clips?

David