Re: SATA cables

On Saturday 13 February 2016 19:15:31 Ric Moore wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 12:21 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 02/12/2016 12:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >  > 'hot red' colored wire in a mic cable that always broke, ...
> >  > After a year or 2, there was no wire remaining in that tubing,
> >  > just a reddish copper dust!
> >
> > Wow.  Somebody didn't understand chemistry/ metallurgy.  I'd suspect
> > the copper before the insulation (or the jacket), but only a
> > chemical assessment would tell.
>
> I personally know that Gene hails back to the days when real men used
> soldering irons in the TV broadcast industry. On another list Gene
> made the same claim about 5 years ago. All of my drives were acting
> flakey, so I took his hint and replaced the cables with black ones. No
> more problems.

> As far as the chemistry goes, if the red dye contained
> an oxidizer, then the heat from the amperage flowing in the cable
> would cause gassing and a faster oxidation rate.

Maybe Ric, but the current in the mic cables was perhaps 20 milliamps in
a 22 or 24 gauge wire. The red wire was normally used for the PtT
switch, which either ran the transmit/receive relay, or did it even more
dependably with electronic switching. I wouldn't say zero heating, but
it wouldn't be detectable by any instruments you or I can muster for the
task.

Essentially ditto for the sata cables, thats all signaling stuff, and
even at a 3Ghz data rate, again even the wave currant would not exceed
20 mills, for perhaps 10% of the time in a well designed circuit.

So IMCO, and as a C.E.T., heating of the cable from anything but nearby
heat radiated INTO it, is miniscule in the grand picture. I do NOT know
whats in that hot red dye, but wrap it around a copper conductor and
youi have signed its eventual death warrant.

> Copper does oxidize
> quite readily. I spent 26 years in the chemical industry and a 20
> degree rise above room temperature would cause some of our caustics to
> eat everything that attempted to pump them. So, while someone might
> not know chemistry/metallurgy, it might not be Gene. Ric

Thanks for the backup Ric, its appreciated.

Hows the phantom leg doing?  Well I hope.  I still have both feet, but I
am paying attention to the glucose test results /most/ of the time.  Its
my back, kidneys, and prostate that worry me, in that order.

Some marching orders from Grandpa Gene, Take care.  And keep the other
leg, ya hear?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)