Re: GNOME Shell can't unmount my USB key

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 09 Feb 2016 at 09:00:50 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > > Just because you didn't lose data doesn't mean it's safe. All
> > > systems are known to use caching, and GNOME frequently informs
> > > me, after having asked to unmount my key, that I shouldn't unplug
> > > it until it has finished to write data on it.
> >
> > Yes, I know about caching, but on my system read/writes to removable
> > devices are almost instantaneous.  So, there's been no problems.
>
> How do you manage this instantaneity?

Can't tell you.  It just is.  Although my system is very custom:
Started with a basic terminal system with networking, and built it piece
by piece. No Desktop and all that crap comes with it, just a window
manager, Openbox, and some essential utilities.  System still boots to
a terminal where I login and run startx.

> > However, I did write my on udev rule to do the mounting/unmounting,
> > and this was after reseaching expert advice on how to do it
> > properly. But as with any advice, you should do what's best for you.
>
> Published udev rules can be examined and tested.

https://soosck.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/improved-udev-rule-arch-linux/

This is basically the same as what I came up with, although I don't have the
code that places an icon on the Desktop since I don't have one.

> > > Additionally, I don't have any LED on this drive, which makes it
> > > even more dangerous.
> >
> > Then my method won't work well for you.
>
> So - a visible LED indication is essential?

Essential?  Perhaps.  At the very least, it's a simple indicator that
the drive is in use.