Re: Good keyboard

On 11/02/2016 06:22, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
On Wed, February 10, 2016 11:00 pm, David Niklas wrote:
If I'm remembering rightly, a while back (months), there was a
discussion about keyboards. I noticed this one and wanted to know if it

https://www.crowdsupply.com/ugl/ultimate-hacking-keyboard
To add a bit of perspective, can you visualize what such ergonomic design
might do for the piano?

The essence of a keyboard is found in the keyswitch -- the plunger and the
contacts.

A good plunger is not lubricated and does not bind even if the key is
struck at an angle.  Any external lubricant eventually wears through.

Good contacts do not bounce.

Good contacts do not fail because of oxidation or exposure to common
atmospheric contaminants such as moisture, ammonia, and oil vapour.

Gold is not necessarily the best contact material for very low voltage and
current, because oil vapour can form an insulating film (a polymer, if I
recall correctly) on gold.  I think that it was Honeywell which published
a report on this matter.  For a quality keyswitch, a wiping silver contact
may be a better choice.
Rhodium may be better, but probably a lot more expensive, we used it a lot in difficult conditions at sea and in other dirty environments, even in the 70's it was about 3 times the price of gold,
but reckoned to last for years

Russ