SOLVED ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Hi Floris, debian users,
* Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl> [22. Jan. 2016]:
> Op Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:10:27 +0100 schreef Jude DaShiell
> <jdashiel@panix.com>:
>
>>udev may be having adverse impacts on abilities to play sounds from
>>certain cards after reboot.  Anyone interested may find sound devices in
>>black listed category they don't want to have black listed.  Correcting
>>such black listing for now is beyond my capability since I haven't done
>>enough with udev to be safe working with ityet.

>>>My fault I should have mentioned it, sorry:  That's it!
>>>

>>>Since 2015-12-11 my /etc/modprobe/alsa-base.conf ist:
>>># PCH
>>>options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=8086 pid=9c20
>>># HDMI
>>>options snd-hda-intel index=1 model=auto vid=8086 pid=0a0c
>>>
>>>this is (if I remember correctly) from Arch wiki and should
>>>provide a numbering of sound devices such that the analog device
>>>becomes default (first one).  Since then I could hear music, hear
>>>sound from movies but only till a week ago.
>>>

>>>If I delete this file and reboot, the numbering of devices is:
>>>
>>>**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>>>card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3232 Analog [ALC3232 Analog]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>
>>>Now mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 works but aplay wav still does
>>>not, mplayer does not without the command line switch and
>>>interestingly mpd still works.
>>>
>>>How to tell linux that the analog device is the default device?
>>>(I'll come back to this mailing list when I actually want to hear
>>>sound through the HDMI device).
>>>

>>>Thanks a lot!  This at least gives an explanation!
>>>
>>>Ciao; Gregor

> 1.
> from http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards:

> The newer "slots=" method
>
> Alternatively, you can use the slot option instead of the index options:
> options snd slots=snd-interwave,snd-ens1371
>
> Then, the first slot (#0) is reserved for snd-interwave driver, and the
> second (#1) for snd-ens1371. You can omit index option in each driver if
> slots option is used (although you can still have them at the same time as
> long as they don't conflict).

I wrestled with this option for more than two hours without
success.  As far as ALSA is concerned having the right card and
device on numbers 0 should be sufficient.

I then stumpled upon the Arch Linux Wiki on PulseAudio.

This command line:
pacmd list-sinks|egrep -I 'index:|name:'
lists PAs "sinks", the default is marked with an asterisk.

I don't know why PA decided to default to the HDMI output but
with a

echo  set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo > ~/.config/pulse/default.pa

I now can hear sound for instance with movies withot telling the
player which sound device to use.

Thank you very much for your patience and help.

I now want to learn what problem PA is there to solve.

Ciao, Gregor
--