Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Hi Floris, debian users,
* Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl> [21. Jan. 2016]:

[...]
>>>You are right, the right permissions are set.
>>>
>>>Do you have an .asoundrc file in your home directory?
>>>
>>>If you have one remove it.
>>>and try aplay again
>>>
>>>If you doesn't have one create one with:
>>>
>>>pcm.pulse {
>>>    type pulse
>>>}
>>>
>>>ctl.pulse {
>>>    type pulse
>>>}
>>>
>>>and try
>>>aplay -Dpulse foo.wav
>>
>>There was no ~/.asoundrc.  I filled one with your example and
>>tried aplay -D pulse ...  --> no sound
>>
>>>success,
>>
>>this would be fine :-)
>>

> Sorry, now I see you have multiple sound cards.

My fault I should have mentioned it, sorry:  That's it!

> use aplay -l to show all your cards

mine is

$ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3232 Analog [ALC3232 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Then test them with:
> $ mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 some-music-file
> and change 0.0 to your cards. The first 0 is the card number, the second the
> device number.
> So I can test 0.0, 0.2, 0.3 and 3.0 and replace some-music-file with your
> own music.
>  / and * controls the volume
>
> Is there sound on any of the devices?

The analog device is the very first.

mplayer  -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 <file>

plays sound and I hear it.

I know there are several soundcards.  Therefore I had played with
aplay-l and aplay -D but did not manage to select the device with
aplay -D 0.0.

Since 2015-12-11 my /etc/modprobe/alsa-base.conf ist:
# PCH
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=8086 pid=9c20
# HDMI
options snd-hda-intel index=1 model=auto vid=8086 pid=0a0c

this is (if I remember correctly) from Arch wiki and should
provide a numbering of sound devices such that the analog device
becomes default (first one).  Since then I could hear music, hear
sound from movies but only till a week ago.

If I delete this file and reboot, the numbering of devices is:

card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3232 Analog [ALC3232 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Now mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 works but aplay wav still does
not, mplayer does not without the command line switch and
interestingly mpd still works.

How to tell linux that the analog device is the default device?
(I'll come back to this mailing list when I actually want to hear
sound through the HDMI device).

Thanks a lot!  This at least gives an explanation!

Ciao; Gregor