Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Op Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:32:21 +0100 schreef Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>:

since a few days my normal user, which is in group sound, cannot
play sound (aplay works but no sound) while root can.

Any ideas how to debug this?

In Debian Testing systemd takes care for setting the right rights
That is why you have a "+" at the end of the permissions.

What is the outcome of:

getfacl /dev/snd/hwC0D0

c$ getfacl /dev/snd/hwC0D0
# file: dev/snd/hwC0D0
# owner: root
# group: audio
user::rw-
user:grfz:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

Did not know this command but output looks good to me.

You are right, the right permissions are set.

Do you have an .asoundrc file in your home directory?

If you have one remove it.
and try aplay again

If you doesn't have one create one with:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

and try
aplay -Dpulse foo.wav

There was no ~/.asoundrc.  I filled one with your example and
tried aplay -D pulse ...  --> no sound

success,

this would be fine :-)

Sorry, now I see you have multiple sound cards.

use aplay -l to show all your cards

for example
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: VT1828S Analog [VT1828S Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 2: VT1828S Alt Analog [VT1828S Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 3: VT1828S Digital [VT1828S Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: Speaker [Logitech USB Speaker], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then test them with:
$ mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 some-music-file
and change 0.0 to your cards. The first 0 is the card number, the second the device number. So I can test 0.0, 0.2, 0.3 and 3.0 and replace some-music-file with your own music.
 / and * controls the volume

Is there sound on any of the devices?

Floris