wodim "Cannot open SCSI driver!"

Hi,

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> When I try to burn with wodim, it says
> Errno: 5 (Input/output error), test unit ready
>    scsi sendcmd: no error

We will have to dig deeper to untangle this message.

But first i need to send a few complaints to heaven:

> $ wodim --devices
> I get "Cannot open SCSI driver!"

This i can reproduce on Jessie.

  wodim: No such file or directory.
  Cannot open SCSI driver!
  For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.

wodim -scanbus does not work either.
(How can it be that unchanged software shows such signs of rot ?)

Funnily, it can operate single drives.
  $ wodim -v dev=/dev/sr4 -inq
  Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
  Wodim version: 1.1.11
  Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

(Well, it is a MMC-5 Blu-ray drive.)

Now for the burn problem.

In order to learn more about the "test unit ready" error, please
repeat the wodim run with additional option -V and catch the
many messages in file /tmp/wodim_log:

  wodim -V ...your.wodim.options... 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/wodim_log

Send the file /tmp/wodim_log to me in private. I will then post
what i can learn from it.

What wodim options did you use, exactly ?

If it was for a pure data or audio CD, then you may try cdrskin
instead of wodim. It uses libburn, as do Xfburn, Brasero, and xorriso.

  cdrskin ...your.wodim.options...

Have a nice day :)

Thomas