Re: dselect, init and systemd-sysv

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 11:26:54 +0100
Aldo Maggi <aldomaggi@katamail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday while updating my system via dselect (I'm using testing)
> I've received the warning that "init and systemd-sysv" were going to
> be uninstalled and I had to approve or deny that action.

You have to be prepared to face things like this if you're using
testing. If you want everything to work peachy-perfect, use stable.

I had the same problem a few days ago, back when I was still using
testing. A whole host of issues and buggy packages led me to learn from
my folly and switch to stable, of which I am a proud user once more.

If you must continue using testing for some reason, be prepared to put
up with problems such as these; they are manifold (occasionally).

> I've thought that as in previous cases (to be frank not recently but
> many years ago) there was a mistake, since looking at the packages
> which were going to be installed it didn't seem that a replacement
> was present, therefore I've stopped the updating.
> This morning I've tried again but got the same warning.
> So I've used apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, in this case no
> warning appears and systemd-sysv appears among the pkgs to be
> upgraded.

This should already be a sign that apt-get and aptitude are vastly
superior to dselect. dselect hasn't been the preferred dpkg frontend
since woody.

> Is dselect still working safely or should I give up and change
> package mgr?

Use apt-get. Seriously. The latest documentation for dselect is from
woody, and 14 years old (2002):
https://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/ch-main.en.html