Re: dselect, init and systemd-sysv

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:00:02 +0100, Aldo Maggi wrote:

> Yesterday while updating my system via dselect (I'm using testing) I've
> received the warning that "init and systemd-sysv" were going to be
> uninstalled and I had to approve or deny that action.
> I've thought that as in previous cases (to be frank not recently but
> many years ago) there was a mistake, since looking at the packages which
> were going to be installed it didn't seem that a replacement was
> present, therefore I've stopped the updating.
> This morning I've tried again but got the same warning.
> So I've used apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, in this case no warning
> appears and systemd-sysv appears among the pkgs to be upgraded.
>
> Is dselect still working safely or should I give up and change package
> mgr?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Aldo

Without seeing the specific message output by dselect it isn't possible
to say for sure- but I would guess that your testing system is trying to
do a dist-upgrade, and in the process switching your init to the new
default, systemd. If you don't want this to happen then it might be
prevented by installing the systemd-shim package IIRC.
If you're confused by the behavior of dselect I recommend using the `apt`
tool instead, or one of `aptitude` or `apt-get`.

Again, without the specific output messages you are seeing it's not
possible to properly diagnose the situation- so everything I'm saying
here could be entirely wrong!