Re: updating ifupdown conflicts with systemd

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:31:30 +0100
Maciej Wołoszyn <m.woloszyn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On my Stretch system updating ifupdown conflicts with systemd.
> > I removed ifupdown.
> > I got network problems (no loopback) so I wanted to reinstall
> > ifupdown, with no luck.
>
> In my case, aptitude suggested removing ifupdown and replacing
> it by ifupdown2 ('ifupdown rewritten in Python').
> I did it, and lost networking after reboot (no loopback, no eth0).
> However, 'ifup -a' started both lo and eth0.
> (I have static IP defined for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, and
> don't use network manager)

This may or may not be somewhat off-topic (or is this the same issue?).
Anyway, over the past few days, I have noticed that upon apt-get
dist-upgrade, ifupdown is always held back. When I force an ifupdown
upgrade with apt-get install ifupdown, it wants to remove hundreds of
packages, including most of the MATE desktop environment. I am running
Stretch (which I somewhat regret now). Are others experiencing this?

Needless to say, I decided not to upgrade ifupdown due to this.