Re: updating ifupdown conflicts with systemd

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:59:19 +0300
Adam Wilson <moxalt@riseup.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:31:30 +0100
> Maciej Wołoszyn <m.woloszyn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > On my Stretch system updating ifupdown conflicts with systemd.
> > > I removed ifupdown.
> > > I got network problems (no loopback) so I wanted to reinstall
> > > ifupdown, with no luck.
> >
> > In my case, aptitude suggested removing ifupdown and replacing
> > it by ifupdown2 ('ifupdown rewritten in Python').
> > I did it, and lost networking after reboot (no loopback, no eth0).
> > However, 'ifup -a' started both lo and eth0.
> > (I have static IP defined for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, and
> > don't use network manager)
>
> This may or may not be somewhat off-topic (or is this the same
> issue?). Anyway, over the past few days, I have noticed that upon
> apt-get dist-upgrade, ifupdown is always held back. When I force an
> ifupdown upgrade with apt-get install ifupdown, it wants to remove
> hundreds of packages, including most of the MATE desktop environment.
> I am running Stretch (which I somewhat regret now). Are others
> experiencing this?
>
> Needless to say, I decided not to upgrade ifupdown due to this.

This happened in unstable some time ago, and the jam cleared two days
ago. Things generally appear in testing about ten days after unstable,
if no complete disaster occurs, but Mr Biebl has told us the new
systemd is due in testing around Saturday.

--
Joe