Re: Putting It All On a Stick

On Wed 06 Jan 2016 at 15:41:42 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 January 2016 13:49:38 Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > Ah! I see. I assumed Lisi was referring to the /etc/apt/sources.list
> > entries.
>
> I was.
>
> I was referring to the fact that the two installers get their software from
> different sources, which are indeed in the sources.list. One gets its
> software from the DVDs and has the DVDs in the
> eventual  /etc/apt/sources.list, the other gets its software from the online
> repositories, which is again reflected in the eventual /etc/apt/sources.list.

It is correct that a sources.list is constructed from DVD-1 and netinst
installs and ends up on the installed system. It doesn't explain why
pkgsel failing with DVD-1 (if it did) would make a netinst ISO a likely
candidate for success with the same task.

The sources.list for DVD-1 could have been incorrectly written I
suppose, but for the stable installer that is unlikely. DVD-1 deals with
that by moving on to the installing GRUB item.

> You basically understood correctly.  Brian, for some reason ,wants to twist
> what I have suggested in order to make identical two things which are not.

I said a DVD-1 and netinst of tasks were identical? Really?

  The only major difference between DVD-1 and the netinst ISO is the first
  gets packages from the DVD (if there is no mirror) whereas the second
  will get some of them from the net (a mirror is needed). I cannot see
  why using a netinst ISO is any better than DVD-1.

Information from the list (that's the "some reason") was what I was
seeking but pictures and eating habits appears to be a more compelling
topic. :).