Re: Putting It All On a Stick

On Wednesday 06 January 2016 13:49:38 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 04:14:46PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> > > Huh? the sources list is different if you use DVD's than if you use a
> > > debian mirror off the net. Even I, understood that much.
> >
> > My claim is that the installers on a netinst ISO and DVD-1 are basically
> > identical (they do the same job), not that a netinst ISO and DVD-1 are
> > identical. That is because they are based on the same source.
> >
> > Explaining what this "sources list" is might clarify things.
>
> Ah! I see. I assumed Lisi was referring to the /etc/apt/sources.list
> entries.

I was.

I was referring to the fact that the two installers get their software from
different sources, which are indeed in the sources.list. One gets its
software from the DVDs and has the DVDs in the
eventual  /etc/apt/sources.list, the other gets its software from the online
repositories, which is again reflected in the eventual /etc/apt/sources.list.

You basically understood correctly.  Brian, for some reason ,wants to twist
what I have suggested in order to make identical two things which are not.

But it isn't worth carrying this on.  Let Brian have his point.

Lisi

Lisi