Re: Help with ddrescue

On Fri, 08 May 2015 19:52:04 -0400
The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 at 07:33 PM, German wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 08 May 2015 19:20:37 -0400
> > The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> >> No. That might potentially work (except that, if I'm reading the
> >> ddrescue man page correctly, the syntax is wrong), but it wouldn't
> >> be correct.
> >>
> >> First, unmount /dev/sdc.
>
> Note for the record: The other steps will erase any data which is
> presently on /dev/sdc. I figure you probably already know that, but I
> just want to be explicit about it.
>
> >> Then do one of two things:
> >>
> >> 1) Create /dev/sdc1 (as an unformatted partition, using fdisk or
> >> parted or whatever partitioning tool you choose), and then run
> >>
> >> ddrescue /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdc1 /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log
> >>
> >> 2) run
> >>
> >> ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log
> >
> > Ok, I think I am getting closer. How big is a log file?
>
> The size of the log file depends on two things: the size of the data
> source which is being copied/rescued, and the number of errors which
> occur while attempting to read that data source.
>
> It can be very small, or it can be moderately large. Even in a
> ridiculous case, however, I wouldn't expect it to be more than a few
> hundred megs - unless the source drive is so bad that you're not going
> to be getting any data back off of it anyway.
>
> > Can it be anywhere on all drives that have enough space? For
> > instance:
> >
> > ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /dev/sda2/ddrescue.log will work?
>
> Not quite. /dev/sda2/ is not a directory; it's a device node.
>
> Since /dev/sda2 is mounted to / (the root filesystem), the correct
> equivalent to this command would be:
>
> ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /ddrescue.log
>
> and although I wouldn't advise storing a log file in the root
> directory, the command should work.
>
> The log file itself can be placed in any writable location which has
> enough space.

Well, Wanderer, I got the drive cloned, it took three days, with no
positive results. What to do? Forget about it and try to format?
Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/spore/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdc1" "/media/spore/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x09401dc4  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 43473  usa_count: 27729: Invalid argument
Record 17625 has no FILE magic (0x9401dc4)
Inode is corrupt (5): Input/output error
Index root attribute missing in directory inode 5: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdc1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.