Re: wheezy to jessie upgrade: gdm system.d failure

Quoting Thomas H. George (lists@tomgeorge.info):
> The dist-upgrade with no apparent problems but gdm3 desktop failed to
> open.  I ran /etc/init.d/gdm3 restart which failed with messages to
> check systemctl status gdm.service and journalctl -xn. The outputs of
> these commands are given below.
>
> I ENCOUNTERED THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH THE INSTILLATION OF JESSIE ON A NEW
> COMPUTER, POSTED THE DESCRIPTION TO THE DEBIAN USER LIST AND RECEIVE NO
> HELP.

(Sh!) I don't use a DM so can't be much help;...

> On the new computer quite by accident I discovered that if I created a
> new user the gnome desktop would open for the new user.  By tranferring
> files I was eventually able use the original user name and eliminate the
> dummy user. I don't want to do that on this computer which has all my
> files and setups though much of the information was backed up before
> starting the upgrade.

...however, this would suggest to me that perhaps your own configuration
files may not agree with the new version. So it might be interesting
to know which files you copied and/or which you didn't. Even without a
DM, I get a load of dotfile-directories which I don't really
understand the contents of.

That's why I put (6) in https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/02/msg00425.html

Cheers,
David.