Re: Help with ddrescue

On 05/08/2015 at 07:08 PM, German wrote:

> On Fri, 8 May 2015 23:54:46 +0100 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday 08 May 2015 23:07:34 German wrote:
>>
>>> Can I try to run fsck on the failed drive?
>>
>> They are *your* files.  But given that you have actually got a
>> suitable disk, i would at least dd them first onto that.
>
> That's what I got:
>
> spore@asterius:~$ lsblk
> NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> sda      8:0    0 119.2G  0 disk
> ├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
> ├─sda2   8:2    0 111.3G  0 part /
> └─sda3   8:3    0   7.4G  0 part [SWAP]
> sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk
> sdc      8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk /media/spore/9F86-0131
> sdd      8:48   0   1.8T  0 disk
> └─sdd1   8:49   0   1.8T  0 part
>
> Where sdd is my failed drive. sdc is my spare drive. The correct
> procedure will be ddrescue if=/dev/sdd1 of=/dev/sdc ?

No. That might potentially work (except that, if I'm reading the
ddrescue man page correctly, the syntax is wrong), but it wouldn't be
correct.

First, unmount /dev/sdc.

Then do one of two things:

1) Create /dev/sdc1 (as an unformatted partition, using fdisk or parted
or whatever partitioning tool you choose), and then run

ddrescue /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdc1 /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log

2) run

ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log

(Don't do both, of course.)

Note that I did NOT specify the 'if=' and 'of=' syntax. That is correct
syntax for dd, but the ddrescue man page does not mention it, and I
believe that it is incorrect syntax for ddrescue.

--
   The Wanderer