Re: Help with ddrescue

On 05/08/2015 at 07:33 PM, German wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2015 19:20:37 -0400
> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2015 at 07:08 PM, German wrote:

>>> That's what I got:
>>>
>>> spore@asterius:~$ lsblk
>>> NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
>>> sda      8:0    0 119.2G  0 disk
>>> ├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
>>> ├─sda2   8:2    0 111.3G  0 part /
>>> └─sda3   8:3    0   7.4G  0 part [SWAP]
>>> sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk
>>> sdc      8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk /media/spore/9F86-0131
>>> sdd      8:48   0   1.8T  0 disk
>>> └─sdd1   8:49   0   1.8T  0 part
>>>
>>> Where sdd is my failed drive. sdc is my spare drive. The correct
>>> procedure will be ddrescue if=/dev/sdd1 of=/dev/sdc ?
>>
>> No. That might potentially work (except that, if I'm reading the
>> ddrescue man page correctly, the syntax is wrong), but it wouldn't be
>> correct.
>>
>> First, unmount /dev/sdc.

Note for the record: The other steps will erase any data which is
presently on /dev/sdc. I figure you probably already know that, but I
just want to be explicit about it.

>> Then do one of two things:
>>
>> 1) Create /dev/sdc1 (as an unformatted partition, using fdisk or
>> parted or whatever partitioning tool you choose), and then run
>>
>> ddrescue /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdc1 /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log
>>
>> 2) run
>>
>> ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /any/path/you/want/ddrescue.log
>
> Ok, I think I am getting closer. How big is a log file?

The size of the log file depends on two things: the size of the data
source which is being copied/rescued, and the number of errors which
occur while attempting to read that data source.

It can be very small, or it can be moderately large. Even in a
ridiculous case, however, I wouldn't expect it to be more than a few
hundred megs - unless the source drive is so bad that you're not going
to be getting any data back off of it anyway.

> Can it be anywhere on all drives that have enough space? For
> instance:
>
> ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /dev/sda2/ddrescue.log will work?

Not quite. /dev/sda2/ is not a directory; it's a device node.

Since /dev/sda2 is mounted to / (the root filesystem), the correct
equivalent to this command would be:

ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /ddrescue.log

and although I wouldn't advise storing a log file in the root directory,
the command should work.

The log file itself can be placed in any writable location which has
enough space.

--
   The Wanderer