Re: Help with ddrescue

On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:10:38 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

> On 08/05/15 10:32 AM, German wrote:
> > Hi list. Ok, now I have a spare 2TB USB drive where I can save .img
> > file. Is that the right procedure? Do I have make a snapshot of
> > failed drive and transfer it as a .img file to a spare drive,
> > correct? R-studio for linux can display files of failed drive
> > ( TestDisk coudn't do it ). So now I think I'll proceed. What is
> > exact command to do it with ddrescue and what file system the spare
> > drive has to be formated? Thank you very much!
> >

> You can try ddrescue if=/dev/sdb1 of=failed.img where /dev/sdb1 would
> be the partition that you want to recover.

Thanks, but some clarification is needed. Now I have two drives, failed
and a spare. Both are 2TB in size. Failed drive probably has 1.6 TB
data I'd like to recover. It has only one partition I suppose. So, if
failed drive is for instance /dev/sdb and spare drive is for
isntance /dev/sdc, the right command will be ddrescue if=/dev/sdb
of=/dev/sdc/failed.img ? And also, you didn't answer this, what file
system the a spare drive ahs to be formated?
Thanks.