Re: Help with ddrescue

On 08/05/15 10:32 AM, German wrote:
Hi list. Ok, now I have a spare 2TB USB drive where I can save .img
file. Is that the right procedure? Do I have make a snapshot of failed
drive and transfer it as a .img file to a spare drive, correct?
R-studio for linux can display files of failed drive ( TestDisk coudn't
do it ). So now I think I'll proceed. What is exact command to do it
with ddrescue and what file system the spare drive has to be formated?
Thank you very much!

You can try ddrescue if=/dev/sdb1 of=failed.img where /dev/sdb1 would be the partition that you want to recover.

If you have space, make a copy of failed.img as well (cp failed.img failed2.img) so you don't have to go back to the actual failed drive, which is likely getting worse each time you access it.

Next you can run whatever rescue software you like on the failed.img file to see if you can recover anything. I usually start off with something simple like fsck before trying testdisk.