Re: nfs problems

On Friday 08 May 2015 02:55:53 Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 2015 00:50:24 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 May 2015 00:36:51 briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> > > i just finished wrestling with NFS set-up problems myself.
> > >
> > > However I don't understand your description of the problem.
> > >
> > > why don't you provide the following:
> > >
> > > /etc/exports from the machine hosting the shares
> >
> > ======================from lathe.coyote.den
> > /  coyote.coyote.den(rw,sync,fsid=0,no_subtree_check)
>
> Gene,
>
> Add "no_root_squash" here, and root will be able to write on the
> clients.

That might be handy, but 99% of what I would need to do would be done by
the user, me.

Something like finding some interesting code on the net, downloading it
here & then moving it to one of those machines, going from say
coyote:/home/gene/Downloads, to lathe:/home/gene/linuxcnc/nc_files to
put it in the normal data directory for linuxcnc.  All as me, gene.

If, for instance I dl a firmware zip, the unpacked version of which goes
into lathe:/lib/firmware/hm2, I'd copy it to my home tree there, then
goto that machine in person or with an ssh -Y session, and use a sudo mc
session to unpack & move the firmware modules.

In that event, I'd be just as well to change the / above to /home/gene.
So that part isn't exactly painted on the barn for posterity.

And since I'd like to be able to reverse the procedure, an /etc/init.d
script that restarts the shebang in one swell foop would be handier than
bottled beer.  One of these machines has an nfs-common script that does
idmapd and statd, and another for the nfs-kernel-server, and I don't see
any real reason I can't merge them both into a single /etc/init.d/nfs
command so that if I change something in the exports or fstab, all the
refreshing to see the effect of the change is done with one command on
each of the two machines effected.  A full, 2 way share that works from
all machines is the target.  Limiting the share to /home/gene, isn't
that much of a hardship.

> That _is_ what you want, isn't it?

root does not need write perms, but I do.  If it takes root to do
something, that is what the ssh -Y session as me, using sudo is for.

Thanks Petter

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)