Re: Upgrade to Jessie freezes when Grub configuration file is being generated

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 10:26:33AM -0400, Pierre Chausse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to do an apt-get upgrade which I hadn't done for a while so it
> was a major update. Everything went well except that the installation
> cannot complete when it reaches the stage of configuring Grub. I tried to
> reboot and rerun apt-get install for the installation to complete and it
> always freezes with the following:
>
> Setting up grub-pc (2.02~beta2-22) ...
> Installing for i386-pc platform.
> Installation finished. No error reported.

OK, so grub (believes it) is installed correctly.

> Generating grub configuration file ...
> Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-3-amd64
> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-3-amd64
>   No volume groups found

So grub-update hung while generating the config file. Let's assume the
worst-case scenario that the config file is partially written and so is
unusable.

> I tried to wait long time but it stays there. When I try to reboot it
> takes forever. We can see the following message multiple times before it
> reboots:
>
> ...: Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!

Oh, this is during the shutdown phase? This isn't (necessarily) a
problem. This implies to me that you're using watchdog software
(possibly from the watchdog package). When the watchdog service stops,
it closes the watchdog device. The message above is just a warning
saying "I've noticed that you've closed the watchdog device, but the
countdown timer is still running". Now, if you're restarting the
watchdog service that's not a problem, as you'll write to the device
before the timeout; during normal shutdown it should also not be a
problem as the watchdog should stop close enough to the actual
shutdown/reboot that the watchdog won't fire.

So, in other words, something else is causing you problems. Check your
logs. Watch the console (if you can), for any services which are holding
back the shutdown.

One thing that has struck me as a possible issue. How old was the system
before the update? Is it possible that you've upgraded a stable Wheezy
system to a stable Jessie system? If so, please read the Release Notes
for Jessie for any gotchas.