Need SAS HBA for Debian Jessie

Ever since upgrading to Debian Jessie, I have been having a heck of a time with getting the RAID array up and keeping it up.  I believe it to be a problem with the controllers.  I have an identical system still running Squeeze.  I can't upgrade it because the controller doesn't work under Jessie.  I've purchased a number of HBAs / RAID controllers, and none of them work.  Some work, but not reliably, some of them aren't LBA 64, so won't work with 5T drives, and some won't work under Debian.  The manufacturer's docs are useless.  Very few mention whether the board can handle drives > 2T, and almost none list Debian or its derivatives as being supported.  Many specifically list SuSe and Red Hat, but very few list Debian, or specify whether there are open source drivers and management utilities.  Does anyone out there have a recommendation for an HBA (preferably non-RAID) that is stable, supports drives larger than 2T, is either supported directly in the Jessie Kernel or has open source drivers, and either has management utilities that either run under Jessie or are open source?