Re: debian/testing philosophie?

Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> I understand, that during freeze packages might disappear (due to
> bugs). This can be an exception, when there is no time to fix a bug to
> the release date,

> But I watched this behaviour not only at the freeze period, this
> happens unregularly.

> Sometimes I found no reason, why trhe package disappeared. Even an
> orphaned package should remain in the repo, when it is not buggy.

Whenever packages are removed there will be an associated bug report
triggering this. Have a look at the package tracker to see, if and why a
package was removed.

Removals can happen at any time, they naturally happen more often close
and during freeze and release.

> I also found packages with the same version in stable and unstable,
> but not in testing.

Then it has been removed from testing because of either some bug or to
allow other packages to transition to testing.

If the version in Stable and Unstable is the same, I would guess this is
an unmaintained package which had to be removed because it was in the
way of a library transition or other dependency related problems.

Maybe it just needs a rebuild (BinNMU) and will reenter Testing through
Unstable once this has been done.

If you provide examples of such packages, someone can explain what
happened and why.

> IMHO unstable was always the entrypoint for packages, when there are no
> critical bugs it is transferred to testing and then some day to stable.

This is correct. The transition to stable is called "release". No
newer package version transitions to stable after a release, though.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.