Re: debian/testing philosophie?

Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> over the years i noticed, that from time to time packages disappearing
> from the testing repo, but that packages are then still in stable and
> in unstable.

> That is weired for me, as I would suppose, that a package disappearing
> in testin would also not to be found in unstable any more. I would
> also expect it to be disappeared in unstable first (as this is more
> actaual than testing), and after this in testing.

> The last package, where I) noticed it at the moment is kphone.

> Can someone explain me this strannge philosophie?

Packages get remove from Testing because of different reasons:

a) to break an upgrade cycle
   Sometimes, a package has to remove from Testing so that other
   packages can migrate from Unstable to Testing, often resulting in the
   reintroduction of the remove package back into Testing.
   This mostly happens if the dependency chain of some packages changed
   in a way the automated tools are not able to resolve themselves. The
   removal then acts as a friendly "nudge" to allow the migration tools
   to work correctly.

b) to remove a buggy package
   Often a package is buggy and not fit for release. The farther Debian
   is in its freeze cycle the more agressive those removals will be
   handled. The DD responsible for the remove package has to fix the
   RC-bug, upload a fixed package to unstable (with only the needed
   fixes) and petition the Release Managers to allow the fixed package
   into Testing.

In both cases from above the package stays in Unstable because it is
still a part of Debian, just not of the next scheduled release.

c) the package is removed completely from Debian
   In this case the package is remove from Unstable and from Testing,
   because it has been dropped completely. In some very rare cases a
   package could also get removed from the Stable release, but I don't
   remember any package being handled in such a severe way.

In your case, package kphone, the last thing has happend: the package
was remove from Debian completely: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kphone
and http://bugs.debian.org/648568

It just happend that it was remove from testing first and just today got
also remove from Unstable, propably just after you last checked the
state of the package.

Grüße,
Sven.

--