Re: Laptop + VGA + X

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:28:52AM -0200, Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda wrote:
> Thank you for the input. Here is my other attempt, with the correct monitor
> identifiers:
>
> hudson@musix:~$ xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --output VGA-1 --auto
> hudson@musix:~$
> hudson@musix:~$ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 2047 x 2047
> LVDS-1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 303mm x 190mm
>    1280x800      59.91*+
> VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>

> As you see, the extern monitor remains considered disconnected. (It behaves
> like in standby state, as it takes a little time to display the screen when
> I switch to the framebuffer terminal.)

This is how "--auto" works. As the man page says :

       --auto For connected but disabled outputs, this will enable
              them using their first preferred mode (or, something
              close to 96dpi if they have no preferred mode). For
              disconnected but enabled outputs, this will disable
              them.

It seems that something like this could work :

$ xrandr --addmode VGA1 1024x768
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768

(See http://askubuntu.com/questions/150879/can-i-force-vga-signal-output-even-when-xrandr-shows-disconnected
for my source)