Re: Attempt to Move Root

Nicolas George a écrit :
> Le septidi 7 nivôse, an CCXXIV, Pascal Hambourg a écrit :
>> There was nothing confusing in Sven's message until you mentionned UEFI
>
> For the early stage of booting, there is no difference between MBR-style
> partitions (it is more accurate and less ambiguous than "MSDOS-style") and
> GPT-style partitions. There are only sectors accessed through a BIOS call.

I agree, but a dedicated space on a partition is a safer location than
unallocated disk space or a filesystem.

> Therefore, if something makes booting easier, it's not GPT, it's UEFI.

*Cough*
At least it was supposed to. The more I mess with UEFI implementations,
the more I feel dubious about its real advantages.

>> AFAIK, GRUB cannot use a partition in MSDOS format to store its core
>> image in the same way as it uses a BIOS boot partition in GPT format.
>
> What makes you say that?

My experience and the documentation I read. If you know a way to have
GRUB install its core image into an arbitrary partition, I'd love to
learn about it.