Re: Attempt to Move Root

Nicolas George a écrit :
> Le duodi 2 nivôse, an CCXXIV, Sven Hartge a écrit :
>> And this is why I love the GPT. There is a defined space for the
>> bootloader to be and no nether region of swirly unknowness between the
>> MBR and the start of the first partition.

Note that current partition tools leave a bigger gap than ~31 KB,
typically ~1 MB to ensure partition alignment. So on a newer
installation you would not face that problem again even with an MSDOS
partition table.

> The UEFI boot system is indeed a great improvement, or would be if it was
> correctly implemented by vendors, but do not expect too much of it.

You are confusing GPT (partition table format) and UEFI (firmware and
boot interface).

> You can have already a partition dedicated to the bootloader with old-style
> MBR partitions.

Can you tell more ? AFAIK, there is no equivalent to the "BIOS boot"
partition in the MSDOS partition scheme.

> You seem to be missing something here: there is absolutely no requirement
> that the GRUB version installed as a package on the distribution is the same
> as the version installed as bootloader. You could have left the upgrade
> replace GRUB or even removed the package for GRUB, just leaving the old
> bootloader, that is not a problem.

I beg to differ.
Upgrading the GRUB package will automatically try to reinstall the
bootloader it is responsible for. If it fails, it will install the new
modules in /boot/grub/ and leave the old boot image and core image,
leading to a version mismatch.
Also, the grub.cfg config file created by grub-mkconfig or update-grub
may not be compatible with the bootloader installed by another version
of GRUB because of changes in syntax or modules.

Of course you are correct if the GRUB package is not responsible for the
active bootloader.

> The same thing would have worked with without GPT.

Yes, by leaving a bigger gap between the MBR and the first partition.

> Especially if you use a
> bios_grub partition instead of an EFI system partition.

A bios_grub (actually "BIOS boot") partition without GPT ? Please tell
me more !