Re: AP support for wl driver

I understand the pain for a proprietary software manufacturer to spend time and money on a free project with no monetary return. However, one should not make a software that locks the capabilities of the hardware, making the device function in a non-appreciable manner.

If a hardware manufacturer loses sales because his product doesn't work with the user's preferred OS (or it's a major hassle to get it to work), then he's losing money and might well find it profitable to sponsor an open source project aimed at addressing the problem (or do the work internally if such is his preference).

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Even inaction has associated costs.

--------------------------|
John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |
--------------------------|

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Stuart Longland
<stuartl@longlandclan.id.au> wrote:

      > RC=0 vk4msl-mb stuartl $ lspci -vnn | grep Network
      > 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation
      BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev
      01)

      That one, is compatible with the 'b43' driver in the Linux
      kernel, and
      after a few ritual sacrifices, *does* work.  It does however
      frequently
      drop its link (dhclient soon fixes it), and even on MacOS X,
      misbehaves.

      I've never tried HostAP with this particular device.

Please make a try once. We would be pleased to have your experiences. I
would suggest to use the hotspotd program (depends on hostapd, dnsmasq).
It's the simplest I've known, but not in Debian repos. A Google search would
pop it up.
      I don't blame the 'b43' developers for this.  They have done an
      excellent job to get it working to the level they have.  Their
      work has
      been almost entirely the result of clean-room reverse
      engineering.

      It shouldn't be that way though.

I understand the pain for a proprietary software manufacturer to spend time
and money on a free project with no monetary return.
However, one should not make a software that locks the capabilities of the
hardware, making the device function in a non-appreciable manner.

      Himanshu, if your chip is supported by one of the drivers listed
      here:
      https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers. ; If one of
      those is
      compatible, then you've got a chance.

Yup! That's the 'wl' driver. I've been using it right from the first day I
installed Debian.
I began with 'broadcom-sta-dkms' package but later switched to
'bcmwl-kernel-source' from Ubuntu repos. Also, changing the regulatory allowed me to make use of certain disabled
channels and make better use of the device.
However, it is the hotspot disappointing me, which I need everyday badly and
have to depend on other people as my roommate which not at all gives a good
feeling.
      Otherwise your only option is begging and grovelling to
      Broadcom, or
      voting with your wallet and buying something else.  Given the
      level of
      contempt Broadcom has shown the Linux community historically, I
      generally find it easier to avoid them and go with someone like
      Atheros
      or Intel, who actively develop their drivers in the Linux
      mainline kernel.

That's the biggest mistake I ever did. Perhaps, one should focus more on
wireless and driver support than any other thing while purchasing a laptop.
The laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled, making me believe that Linux would
function perfectly on it. Misconception indeed!
      If I wanted a proprietary binary soup I'd use Windows.

I downloaded the Windows driver, but ndis suports drivers made for Windows
XP only.
Walking through the Windows driver made me discover multiple ".hex" files
with no idea on how to use them.

      --
      Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

      I haven't lost my mind...
        ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Not at all, you seem to be a perfectly sound man :P

Regards
Himanshu Shekhar