Re: AP support for wl driver

On 20/12/15 19:32, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > Thanks Stuart! I have made several attempts and almost scanned the
>> > Broadcom driver download page. No support email.
>> > They have 64 bit driver for Linux available for download. I tried,
>> > following the README file, and compilation failed with errors.
>> > Bad experience with Broadcom.
>> >
> Exactly that caused me to blacklist & leave it on the shelf or pegboard,
> anthing with a broadcom radio in it. I don't buy headches if I can help
> it.

Likewise.  I have one machine with a Broadcom WIFI chip, that's the
MacBook I'm typing this email on:

> RC=0 vk4msl-mb stuartl $ lspci -vnn | grep Network
> 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

That one, is compatible with the 'b43' driver in the Linux kernel, and
after a few ritual sacrifices, *does* work.  It does however frequently
drop its link (dhclient soon fixes it), and even on MacOS X, misbehaves.

I've never tried HostAP with this particular device.

I don't blame the 'b43' developers for this.  They have done an
excellent job to get it working to the level they have.  Their work has
been almost entirely the result of clean-room reverse engineering.

It shouldn't be that way though.

Himanshu, if your chip is supported by one of the drivers listed here:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers.  If one of those is
compatible, then you've got a chance.

Otherwise your only option is begging and grovelling to Broadcom, or
voting with your wallet and buying something else.  Given the level of
contempt Broadcom has shown the Linux community historically, I
generally find it easier to avoid them and go with someone like Atheros
or Intel, who actively develop their drivers in the Linux mainline kernel.

If I wanted a proprietary binary soup I'd use Windows.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.