Re: gufw problem

I am using the Gnome 3 "classic" desktop.

When I push the mouser pointer up into the hot-spot in the upper left corner of the screen, a (sort of) oval pops up containing a magnifying glass icon and the words "Type to search . . . ".  If I type in "gufw", it just bluntly says "No results.".

But if I do ALT-F2, a window pops up saying "Enter a command".  If I type in "gufw" there, Gufw starts up, and seems to work.

So, yes - it does start that way.

Now, as to:
"What's wrong with just using a launcher anyway, if it comes up that way?",
maybe I am just autistic.  It just bothers me when things don't work CORRECTLY.

I guess it just goes to show that for a lot of developers, it is more fun to devise new "features" that "sort of" work than to fix errors and deficiencies.

Sigh.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 09 December 2015 01:32:39 Jape Person wrote:
> On 12/08/2015 04:57 PM, Francis Gerund wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just installed Debian 8.2, 64-bit, Gnome desktop, using the
> > netinst.iso.  Used Synaptic to install Gufw (and ufw as dependency).
> > Ufw works fine.
> >
> > But gufw does not show in the application menu or in the favories menu
> > of Gnome.  The only way to run it seems to be in Gnome terminal
> > (non-login):
> >
> >          gksudo /usr/bin/gufw
>
> I can confirm that gufw doesn't show in the menu on Xfce, also. So at
> least one other desktop environment is affected.
>
> I hadn't noticed. Installed it on a friend's system so she'd have a
> reasonably easy-to-use control for ufw. I only ever start gui apps with
> a launcher, so I didn't notice gufw's absence from the menu until I read
> your message and checked it out on her system. This is on a testing
> system, so problem hasn't been fixed yet.
>
> > But even then, as soon as the password dialog window pops up, the
> > terminal is showing this:
> >
> >          Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> >
> > But I do have libcanberra-gtk3-module, and several other libcanberra
> > components installed.  So, rather than messing up my system completely,
> > has anyone else  had this problem, and what is the correct way to solve
> > it?
> >
> > (Please don't say, "ufw is working, so what's the problem?")
>
> What happens if you just use a launcher to launch gufw and then click on
> the Unlock button on the application -- assuming that it comes up?

What's wrong with just using a launcher anyway, if it comes up that way?

Lisi