Re: [OT] Soliciting Advice on e-mail and web-hosting providers

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On Sunday 06 December 2015 03:47:55 Joe wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 18:24:22 -0500 (EST)
>
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I personally have been here for years and I like them
> > >
> > >   http://debian-hosting.info/
> > >
> > >  Prices are reasonable and service has been great.
> >
> > I checked out their web site, and they seem like a good outfit.  But
> > I must admit, I'm totally lost.  Allow me to explain.
> >
> > My old web site was pure HTML.  No ASP, no PHP, no SQL.  It's just
> > pure information, with some links for downloading files.  I'm not a
> > business trying to set up a web site so that customers can order
> > stuff from me. I just want to publish free information for the
> > public.  It's mostly tech stuff about Debian.
> >
> > When I created my old web site, All I did to manage it was use FTP
> > to upload and download files.  By convention, the home page was
> > "index.htm".  Any other pages could be linked to from that page.
> > The only thing that I would like to change is to use SSL-encrypted
> > FTP, so that my password won't be sent over the network in clear
> > text.  I must admit that I don't understand this brave new world of
> > web hosting.  Looking at debian-hosting's web site, I'm totally lost
> > as to how I would mangage my account.  What I'm looking for is
> > something similar to what I had before.  Is there anything like that
> > out there?  Or can I manage a debian-hosting account that way?
>
> Apart from the SSL bit, which is a specific question-answer issue,
> there should be no trouble doing things the old way. I have a site
> serving some PCB-specific information which is pure HTML, not a script
> in sight at either end of proceedings. The pages are generated by a
> script from standard gEDA symbol and footprint files, but here at
> home, and the HTML is uploaded traditionally.

Its not that hard to setup your own server right at home if you have a
machine running 24/7 which 4 of the 5 on my local net do.  Just don't
put it on port 80 because the ISP's block that for incoming in order to
force you to put it on their machines.  The web site in the sig, is in
fact on /this/ machine.  No fancy scripts, just apache2.  That port is
the only port my router, running DD-WRT, forwards to any local
address/machine, and its running in a login-less username sandbox and
has been for quite a few years with zero security issues.  Nearly a
decade in fact.

Yes if you already have existing servers running 24/7 and dedicated public IP, then no additional cost.  But if no existing server at home, renting a service is cheaper.

The downside is the slower up-link speed when you look at a pix or
download something. Be my guest as the present traffic is only about 10%
of my data cap.

The upside is no commercials except the front age pix of me & the missus,
but now we are a decade & change older. And I am about 50 lbs lighter in
deference to being a DM-II.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)