Re: [OT] Soliciting Advice on e-mail and web-hosting providers

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 18:24:22 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:15:08 -0500 (EST), mister s jones wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 28, 2015 09:49:47 Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> So, does anyone wish to share their experiences, good or bad?  Is
> >> there anyone you wish to recommend?  Is there anyone you want to
> >> warn me to stay away from? All opinions are welcome.
> >
> > I personally have been here for years and I like them
> >
> > 	http://debian-hosting.info/
> >
> >  Prices are reasonable and service has been great.
>
> I checked out their web site, and they seem like a good outfit.  But
> I must admit, I'm totally lost.  Allow me to explain.
>
> My old web site was pure HTML.  No ASP, no PHP, no SQL.  It's just
> pure information, with some links for downloading files.  I'm not a
> business trying to set up a web site so that customers can order
> stuff from me. I just want to publish free information for the
> public.  It's mostly tech stuff about Debian.
>
> When I created my old web site, All I did to manage it was use FTP to
> upload and download files.  By convention, the home page was
> "index.htm".  Any other pages could be linked to from that page.  The
> only thing that I would like to change is to use SSL-encrypted FTP,
> so that my password won't be sent over the network in clear text.  I
> must admit that I don't understand this brave new world of web
> hosting.  Looking at debian-hosting's web site, I'm totally lost as
> to how I would mangage my account.  What I'm looking for is something
> similar to what I had before.  Is there anything like that out
> there?  Or can I manage a debian-hosting account that way?

Apart from the SSL bit, which is a specific question-answer issue,
there should be no trouble doing things the old way. I have a site
serving some PCB-specific information which is pure HTML, not a script
in sight at either end of proceedings. The pages are generated by a
script from standard gEDA symbol and footprint files, but here at home,
and the HTML is uploaded traditionally.

--
Joe