[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

(SOLVED) Re: hplip and scanning not working on Jessie

On 12/06/2015 04:07 PM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:
On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 03:47:24PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 12/06/2015 03:14 PM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:
On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 10:54:39AM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 12/06/2015 04:41 AM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:
On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:21:49PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I recently upgraded to Jessie, using sysvint-core as my init and am having
some printer problems.

I got the printer working.  CUPS was apparently uninstalled during the
upgrade.  I had noticed that some CUPS files were being removed, but it
looked like replacements for them were being installed. Anyway, I installed
CUPS, found what driver it wanted (printer-driver-hpcups) and installed it,
printer-driver-hpcups is a dependency of hplip, so I would have expected
it to be already installed.

No matter which tool I tried to run, with the exception of hp-check, I get
the following error:

# hp-setup
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/hp-setup", line 45, in <module>
     from base import device, utils, tui, models, module, services, os_utils
   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/device.py", line 42, in <module>
     import status
   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 59, in <module>
     import hpmudext
ImportError: libnetsnmp.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
This is strange.  libsnmp15 was in wheezy and a dependency of hplip 3.12.
In Jessie, hplip is 3.14 and depends on libsnmp30.  You seem to have
hplip 3.14, so why it's looking for the file above is a mystery.
This is the version of libhpmud0 that is currently installed on my system,
even after purging and reinstalling several times.  That date seems rather
old.  Almost half a year BEFORE the Jessie release:

/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls libhp*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 170600 Nov  8  2014 libhpmud0_3.14.6-1+b2_amd64.deb
That seems to be the correct version for jessie.

Is there a newer version that I should be getting? This version says that it
requires libsnmp30, and that is what it brings in, but then it actually
seems to try to use libsnmp15. Is this a bug?  If so, how do I report it?
Apparently, this has been reported already.

It looks like this is not due to the current version of libhpmud trying
to use old libnetsnmp15, but due to old hpmud-related files being left

Googling this error, it comes up all over the place.  In multiple
distributions and years.  I saw it as early as 2009 and just about every
year since then.  I haven't had any trouble with this prior to Jessie, but
it certainly seems to have been a problem for others. Is this a problem with
dependencies in libhpmud0 not being kept up correctly?  But that doesn't
explain why it would be a problem across multiple distributions.  I'm
confused (obviously).  Any further ideas?
I found an Ubuntu bug report from mid-2014:

It looks like you can run

locate hpmudext.so
locate libhpmud.so

and after that, for each entry <file> resulting from these commands,

ldd <file> | grep netsnmp

If any snmp15 lines show up, then <file> might be the culprit, so you
can try removing <file>.

(If the snmp15 error goes away, but you still have problems, you might
try reinstalling hplip and libhpmud0 again.)

This is the output that I am getting:

$ locate libhpmud.so

only the version 0.0.6 listings are actual files.  The others are soft links
to them.  Hence, the matching results shown here:

$ ldd /usr/lib/libhpmud.so.0 | grep netsnmp
     libnetsnmp.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnetsnmp.so.30
$ ldd /usr/lib/libhpmud.so.0.0.6 | grep netsnmp
     libnetsnmp.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnetsnmp.so.30
$ ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhpmud.so | grep netsnmp
     libnetsnmp.so.15 => not found
$ ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhpmud.so.0 | grep netsnmp
     libnetsnmp.so.15 => not found
$ ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhpmud.so.0.0.6 | grep netsnmp
     libnetsnmp.so.15 => not found

So, is this saying that the problem is in the 64 bit version of the library
only, and not the in the 32 bit version?  If I delete the x86_64 version of
the file isn't that going to give me problems since I am running a 64 bit
The bug reports I found seemed to imply deleting such files fixed their
problems, and didn't mention any other problems.  The "good" file,
/usr/lib/libhpmud.so.0.0.6, should also be 64-bit, since you got it from
libhpmud0_3.14.6-1+b2_amd64.deb.  If you want to be really safe, you can
temporarily move the three "bad" files somewhere else, like your home
directory, instead of really deleting them.

Yes! That did it! I moved all of the libhpmud files from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ including libhpmud.la to my home directory and that immediately solved the problem. I ran the device manager and 'setup' (it ran with no issues) and I took all of the defaults. I checked my ink levels. All is good. I loaded up Libre Office and imported a scanned image from there. All seems to be working as it should.

Thank you very much Selim, and everyone else who helped me on this. I hope that this is the last of the problems that I have with this upgrade, but at least this community is here if I need more help.


Reply to: