Re: hplip and scanning not working on Jessie

On 12/06/2015 04:41 AM, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:
On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:21:49PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I recently upgraded to Jessie, using sysvint-core as my init and am having
some printer problems.

I got the printer working.  CUPS was apparently uninstalled during the
upgrade.  I had noticed that some CUPS files were being removed, but it
looked like replacements for them were being installed. Anyway, I installed
CUPS, found what driver it wanted (printer-driver-hpcups) and installed it,
printer-driver-hpcups is a dependency of hplip, so I would have expected
it to be already installed.

No matter which tool I tried to run, with the exception of hp-check, I get
the following error:

# hp-setup
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/hp-setup", line 45, in <module>
     from base import device, utils, tui, models, module, services, os_utils
   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/device.py", line 42, in <module>
     import status
   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 59, in <module>
     import hpmudext
ImportError: libnetsnmp.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
This is strange.  libsnmp15 was in wheezy and a dependency of hplip 3.12.
In Jessie, hplip is 3.14 and depends on libsnmp30.  You seem to have
hplip 3.14, so why it's looking for the file above is a mystery.

This is the version of libhpmud0 that is currently installed on my system, even after purging and reinstalling several times. That date seems rather old. Almost half a year BEFORE the Jessie release:

/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls libhp*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 170600 Nov  8  2014 libhpmud0_3.14.6-1+b2_amd64.deb

Is there a newer version that I should be getting? This version says that it requires libsnmp30, and that is what it brings in, but then it actually seems to try to use libsnmp15. Is this a bug? If so, how do I report it?

Googling this error, it comes up all over the place. In multiple distributions and years. I saw it as early as 2009 and just about every year since then. I haven't had any trouble with this prior to Jessie, but it certainly seems to have been a problem for others. Is this a problem with dependencies in libhpmud0 not being kept up correctly? But that doesn't explain why it would be a problem across multiple distributions. I'm confused (obviously). Any further ideas?

Marc

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.14.6
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for debian
distro  8.2 version
Maybe try purging and re-installing hplip?