Re: hplip and scanning not working on Jessie

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:21:49PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Jessie, using sysvint-core as my init and am having
> some printer problems.
>
> I got the printer working.  CUPS was apparently uninstalled during the
> upgrade.  I had noticed that some CUPS files were being removed, but it
> looked like replacements for them were being installed. Anyway, I installed
> CUPS, found what driver it wanted (printer-driver-hpcups) and installed it,

printer-driver-hpcups is a dependency of hplip, so I would have expected
it to be already installed.

> No matter which tool I tried to run, with the exception of hp-check, I get
> the following error:
>
> # hp-setup
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/hp-setup", line 45, in <module>
>     from base import device, utils, tui, models, module, services, os_utils
>   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/device.py", line 42, in <module>
>     import status
>   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 59, in <module>
>     import hpmudext
> ImportError: libnetsnmp.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory

This is strange.  libsnmp15 was in wheezy and a dependency of hplip 3.12.
In Jessie, hplip is 3.14 and depends on libsnmp30.  You seem to have
hplip 3.14, so why it's looking for the file above is a mystery.

> HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.14.6
> HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
> warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for debian
> distro  8.2 version

Maybe try purging and re-installing hplip?