Re: OT: reply styles, family matters

Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
>>> "Please don't respond line by line. It is patronizing and
>>> annoying."
>
>> What did he say when you asked what he meant by this? I mean, how on
>> earth could it possibly be patronising?
>
> I haven't asked him yet, in the interest of not muddying still
> waters. I've been thinking about his "patronizing" response and I
> believe it is an objection to the obvious clarity and precision that
> inline responses afford.

It may be that inline replies are associated with the practice of
'fisking', which in conservative circles is interleaving derogative
comments with the target of derision's original content (usually a blog
post).

If the only time you see interleaved comments is in 'fisked' pieces,
then I could understand not feeling comfortable when someone does that
in an email reply.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.