Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

Le 26/11/2015 13:19, Francis Gerund a écrit :
> 1)
> Per lspci, the network adapter is:
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network
> Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01).
>
> It is somewhat old, but not uncommon.  I have
> run many distributions using it (including Debian), and never had to
> install proprietary firmware.
> It seems to use open source driver(s).
>
> 2)
> There is no desktop environment installed.  The install did not show an
> option to do so (I used the "text" install; not the "graphical"
> install).  It also did not offer to run tasksel, etc. I was surprised, I
> thought even the netinst.iso did that.

Hi,

these two pages could be of interest in your case:
 https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k
 (your wifi driver)
 https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
 (how and what to install to use a wifi card)

your wifi card (wich does not require a firmware) being listed by lspci
but not by ifconfig suggests that the kernel module that manages it
(ath9k) is not loaded.

 # lsmod | grep -i ath9k
should display this module loaded

if not loaded, load it:
 # modprobe ath9k

then your wifi card should be listed by ifconfig, to be configured by a
way of your choice detailed in my previous HowToUse link.

Anyway I think your installation has been flawed: have you checksumed
the ISO you downloaded?
And as suggested by another contributor, a live image is perhaps not the
best way to install a taylored Debian system: an install image launched
in expert mode would do it better. Being either a network CD or even a
full-blown DVD/Blu-Ray: in expert mode you have the choice to install
the bare minimum if that pleases you.