Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

On Thu 26 Nov 2015 at 12:19:22 +0000, Francis Gerund wrote:

> 1)
> Per lspci, the network adapter is:
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network
> Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01).
>
> It is somewhat old, but not uncommon.  I have
> run many distributions using it (including Debian), and never had to
> install proprietary firmware.
> It seems to use open source driver(s).
>
> 2)
> There is no desktop environment installed.  The install did not show an
> option to do so (I used the "text" install; not the "graphical" install).
> It also did not offer to run tasksel, etc. I was surprised, I thought even
> the netinst.iso did that.

I thought a debian-live-* ISO only installed a Live system and was not
set up to as a general purpose installer like netinst.iso.

Anyway, the problem might be installing over a WiFi link *and* not
running tasksel to get a DE. In these circumstances the network is
left unconfigured.

At the d-i screen press TAB and add

  netcfg/target_network_config select ifupdown

to the kernel line and boot. I'd use a netinst ISO.

How does that go?