Re: Openbox without other desktop environments.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:34:52PM +0100, Rene Funck wrote:
> Hello Users
>
> I have a virgin installation of Jessie v.8.2 and i want to run Openbox
> without other desktop environments. So my situation is almost identical to
> Dwijesh Gajadurs who posted to this list yesterday.
>
> I followed the advises to Dwijesh: Installed Xorg, installed Openbox (my
> own idea, hope i didn't ruin anything, ha ha!), logged in as a regular user
> and executed
>
> *startx.*
> It looked like the video-mode changed (probably from text to graphic) and
> then i had a working mouse-pointer on black screen.
>
> Please help!

Hm. It seems the window manager isn't set up in your X session. What's the
file /usr/bin/x-window-manager? (I'd expect it to be a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager, and this one to be a symlink to your
window manager, probably /usr/bin/openbox or something similar).

What does the command

  update-alternatives x-window-manager

say?

Perhaps you could fix it with

  sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

or with

  sudo update-alternatives --set x-window-manager /usr/bin/openbox

(please, double-check the path to the openbox executable).

Aditionally you might want to have a display manager (xdm, gdm or whatever)
if you want to have a graphical login instead of issuing "startx" from
the console.

Before all that, you could try starting the window manager from a (Linux)
console like so:

  DISPLAY=:0 openbox &

(so you can check whether all of the above might work).

HTH
- -- tomás