Re: Kali, Redux

On Thursday 05 November 2015 08:47:48 The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2015-11-05 at 03:22, David Baron wrote:

> >> dpkg -S <filename>   shows that they both belong to the "base-files"
> >> package.
> >
> > This package is no longer on the repos!!
>
> Of course it is:
>
> ========
> $ apt-cache policy base-files
> base-files:
>   Installed: 9.5
>   Candidate: 9.5
>   Version table:
>  *** 9.5 0
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      8+deb8u2 0
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
> ========
>
> I'd be extremely surprised if it weren't, since it's flagged as
> "Essential: yes".
>
> What repositories do you have listed in /etc/apt/sources.list?
>
> I really suspect you're not actually running Debian as such, but some
> derivative (presumably named "Kali") with which I at least am not
> directly familiar, and your problems are coming from the changes
> involved in their repositories.

Here is my sources.list
~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# basic
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

#Virtualbox from Oracle
# deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ squeeze contrib non-
free
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ wheezy contrib

#Kde pre-releases?
# deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian/ unstable main
# deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian/ experimental main
# deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian/ experimental-snapshots main
# deb http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext/ experimental-snapshots main

#flight simulator launcher
# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xquiet/ppa/ubuntu/ precise main

#awv.lvw plugins
# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/blablack/music-prod/ubuntu/ quantal main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/blablack/music-prod/ubuntu/ quantal main

# Kali linux repositories | Added by Katoolin
# deb http://http.kali.org/kali/ sana contrib non-free main
# deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates non-free contrib
main
# deb http://repo.kali.org/kali/ kali-bleeding-edge main

I had those kali repos but never installed any of it, but that Katoolin script
might have touched the text files.

Attempt to apt-get --reinstall install base-files will produce error "cannot
be downloaded." In Synaptic, the Debian symbol does not appear with the
package. Maybe it is only on stable?