Re: Kali, Redux

On 2015-11-05 at 03:22, David Baron wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 November 2015 16:35:57 David Wright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 04 Nov 2015 at 22:56:42 (+0200), David Baron wrote:
>>
>>> So, I easily edited the text in /etc/issue to something more to
>>> my liking. This is just text, no meaning.
>>>
>>> Watching a cmake session, I noticed the distribution being
>>> called, you guessed it: Kali ...
>>>
>>> Found another file: ~$ cat /etc/os-release
>>> PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux 2.0 (sana)"
>>> NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
>>> ID=kali
>>> VERSION="2.0 (sana)"
>>> VERSION_ID="2.0"
>>> ID_LIKE=debian
>>> ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
>>> HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/";
>>> SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/";
>>> BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/";
>>>
>>> Actually a symlink to /usr/lib/os-release
>>>
>>> So where did I get this?
>>
>> dpkg -S <filename>   shows that they both belong to the "base-files"
>> package.
>
> This package is no longer on the repos!!

Of course it is:

========
$ apt-cache policy base-files
base-files:
  Installed: 9.5
  Candidate: 9.5
  Version table:
 *** 9.5 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     8+deb8u2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
========

I'd be extremely surprised if it weren't, since it's flagged as
"Essential: yes".

What repositories do you have listed in /etc/apt/sources.list?

I really suspect you're not actually running Debian as such, but some
derivative (presumably named "Kali") with which I at least am not
directly familiar, and your problems are coming from the changes
involved in their repositories.

--
   The Wanderer