Re: Debian Squeeze mounting problem

On 11/1/2015 1:47 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
On 10/31/2015 08:28 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm having problems understanding
http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=mount&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+6.0.10+squeeze&format=html&locale=en

I have 3 partitions labeled proj-all, proj-1, and proj-2.
The machine intentionally has no networking.
There are 2 relevant but minimally privileged users [u1 and u2].
I wish to have proj-all mounted at power on with
read/write/execute
privileges for both u1 and u2.

proj-1 and/or proj-2 will be mounted separately if required.
Once mounted, u1 and u2 will each have read/write access.

How do I accomplish this.

I don't use labels much in Linux, but they can be helpful when I
have multiple disk drives [snip]

My 'universe of discourse' is a _personal_ laptop with one hard-drive.

The set of users is intrinsically "me", "myself" and "i". Only "i" may use sudo. "me" and "myself" are working on different aspects of the same problem and must share results. The only distinction is in scratch files. Debian's personalized home directories serve that nicely.

Labels are intrinsically unique mnemonics. UUID's would only be a source of confusion.

Mr. Christensen had referred me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_%28Unix%29 I also found the following to be informative (complementing the man pages):
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ls
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_(Unix)

For the moment proj-1 and proj-2 should be considered appropriately formatted and labeled USB flash drives. When one or other or both are plugged in, they shall be immediately available WITHOUT operator intervention. FAT32 would work except for file size limitations.

The laptop being used is dedicated to this project and to me learning ins and outs of Debian. Due to later I've wiped the disk and reinstalled multiple times in a single day. [If retirement is not for education, of what use might it be ;]

Thank you for your time.