Re: System craches when browsing a web site

Hi,

> epiphany browser [...] makes my hole system crash.

It should not.

> My problem is how it happens that a user program make a Linux system freeze.

First thing to test is whether it is a crash or a freeze
of the desktop.

If you have a network with a second computer then log into
the problem machine via SSH, provoke the crash-or-freeze,
and check whether the SSH connection still reacts on the Enter
key.

In any case have a look into the system log after you rebooted,
whether there are any interesting messages from immediately
before the reboot. (File /var/log/messages , command dmesg.)

>From remote i'd say it must be a co-operation of a few entities
out of the set { browser, desktop, X server, Linux kernel }.
Since epihany is part of GNOME dektop, i would file the bug
against GNOME, unless the system log shows messages which point
to a kernel problem.

Try whether the problem appears in XFCE as well (which uses less
of the GNOME stuff than GNOME does).
If you want to exclude GNOME desktop as culprit, find a desktop
which does not use GLib. To my mind come twm and my personal
favorite fvwm2.
(The latter suffers from zero-configuration in its Debian package.
 You would need to find some minimal .fvwm2rc template to put into
 your $HOME directory. Like:
   http://www.linuxfocus.org/common/src/article70/fvwm2rc.html
 )

I would have few hope for a remedy in Debian, though.

If you are courageous enough, follow the newest development
of GLib and its companions and watch whether the problem
vanishes suddenly.

> a main reason for me to stop using other OS!

Well, several desktops want to look and feel like other OS.
This has the expectable consequences.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas