Re: Backup solutions without reinventig the wheel these days

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 09:10:54PM +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> I suggest "rsync --link-dest" too. Symbolic links are a nice way to
> store the previous (and currently newest) backup destination directory.
> So maybe like this in the backup destination machine:

--link-dest doesn't create symbolic links, it uses hard links.

If you have a lot of file metadata (due to lots of files), and you want to
store lots of increments, and you want those increments to be fully expanded on
the filesystem, such as via rsnapshot or --link-dest, then your filesystem
metadata (dentries, inodes etc) are going to be large.