Re: Installer partitioning problem (was: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!))

<gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 October 2015 02:29:04 Martin Str|mberg wrote:
> > > I don't understand why you can't. I can create (and did) partitions of
> > > 200 MB size. I use the text based installer and manual partitioning.
> >
> > On a 4k/sector, 2 terabyte disk?  I tried from 500m to 2g, it would not
> > accept it.  Finally I said to use 5% of the disk, and that worked. Since
>
> Mmm... Lately, usually the installation is onto an SDD, so lately no.
>
> But earlier I'm quite sure I've done that. That should be around/with
> Debian 6 and then probably not 4k/sector disk.
>
> But some SDD has claimed 4k/sector physical block size (but then again
> they are not 2TB).
>
> Frankly, I don't see what the 4k/sector physical block size has to do
> with it.
>
> > > Supposing your variant of installer can't, then why don't you boot a
> > > live CD/stick and partition the hard drive before any booting the
> > > installer and then you should be able to tell the installer to just
> > > use the partitions without any repartitioning.
> >
> > The key phrase is "should be able to tell it to use what it finds",
> > applying only mount point labels.  I have not been allowed to do so by
> > any linux installer over the last 7 or 8 years.  That limitation has
>
> Again I don't understand why you can't. I have done that successfully
> too.
>
> > Thats also when I parted company with fedora, forever.  I was tired of
> > being one of their development lab rats. Always something broken, screw
> > it.
>
> ??? I'm talking about Debian.

Please, please can we not have another "discussion" with Gene about his
personal, to most of us idiosyncratic, relationship with the partitioner in
the Debian installer.  He has found a way to live with it.  We have breathed
a sigh of relief.  Let's leave it like that.

Lisi